Thursday, March 29, 2012

Fencing Math

The Challenge
     Don't you hate it when you find out your math has real life application? I do. Which happened to happen today. I opened my math book and saw at the bottom of the page an optional challenge to find out how tall a pyramid was by the height of it's shadow.
     Since  it was optional, I opted not to do it, but instead challenged Farmer to. He got it right, than mentioned we could measure how tall the barn was by measuring it's shadow.
Our barn
     Our barn was built in 1919 by my great-grandpa, and I think that's pretty neat, so I said I'd do it.
     I measured my self (5'3"), and then my shadow (4'). I than measured the barn's shadow. 25' 4". (Can you figure it out?) I did the problem and came up with the grand total of...(drumroll please) 33! Slightly rounded though....
     I'd better go though. We need to fix fence so we can move our heifers. We are going to be doing a lot of moving around soon so Comet can have some privacy when she foals. =D

No comments:

Post a Comment